James K. Nichols - Attorney
James joined the firm as an attorney in 2021. For over a decade, James has worked with Indian tribes, tribal agencies and officials, and tribal organizations on a wide range of federal, state, and tribal law matters. James specializes in healthcare matters and has assisted tribes on ISDEAA health program modification, implementation of Medicare-Like Rate regulations, Medicaid reimbursement, contract support cost claims, and compact negotiations. He has also represented tribes in litigation on a variety of matters including gaming regulation, state taxation, treaty rights, and contracts with the federal government.
Since 2019, James has served as an Advisory Board Member of the Oklahoma State University Tribal Finance and Accounting Program and is a frequent lecturer in Indian Country on matters ranging from maximizing tribal heath care services and funding to effective federal grant management, tribal enterprise board governance, and tribal gaming regulation.
James is an enrolled member of the Chickasaw Nation.
- Gaming and Regulation
- State Taxation
- Treaty Rights
- Government Contracting
- J.D., University of Minnesota, Magna Cum Laude
- B.A., Carleton College, Political Science, Magna Cum Laude
- United States District Court of Minnesota
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- Keweenaw Bay Indian Community Tribal Court