Shawn R. Frank - Shareholder
Mr. Frank joined the firm in 2002, bringing substantial experience representing Indian tribes, tribal organizations, and entities doing business with tribes. Mr. Frank became a shareholder in 2003 and is currently the firm's Managing Shareholder. Shawn is an enrolled member of the Seneca Nation of Indians from the Allegany Territory.
Shawn’s practice remains varied with a strong focus on gaming regulation and licensing. Mr. Frank also provides general corporate and business counsel services to tribes, tribal organizations, and those doing business in Indian Country. In addition to advising clients on corporate contracts and agreements, Mr. Frank continues to work with tribal clients in the areas of Indian housing, tribal natural resource protection and regulation, administrative agency proceedings, and tribal governance issues – particularly membership issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Shawn was a corporate associate at a large Minneapolis law firm. From 1996 – 2000, Shawn worked with an Albuquerque, New Mexico law firm practicing Indian law exclusively, working in the area of on-and-off reservation Indian economic development initiatives, Indian housing, and general tribal employment matters. Mr. Frank served as the Assistant Attorney General for the Seneca Nation of Indians, advising and representing the tribal council and its Board and committees. While in-house, he worked extensively in the areas of federal self-determination contracts, federal grant administration, employment law, and tribal economic development.
Mr. Frank speaks regularly at lawyers’ seminars on the subjects of tribal sovereignty and doing business in Indian Country.
- Civil Litigation
- Employment Law
- Indian/Tribal Law
- J.D. American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia, 1994 / Honors: Cum Laude
- B.S. Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 1991
- New Mexico
- New York
- Cum Laude
- Americans for Indian Opportunity Ambassadors Fellow, 1998
- Kellogg National Fellowship, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Ho-Chunk Tribal Court
- Lower Sioux Tribal Court
- Menominee Tribal Court
- Oneida Appeals Commission
- Prairie Island Indian Community Tribal Court
- Pueblo of Laguna Tribal Court
- Tribal Court of the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan
- Seneca Nation of Indians Peacemaker's Court